Just a couple of pretty straight forward reasons:
1. Mark Zuckerberg is a thief and a schmuck. He stole the idea from Facebook and has a clear history of not giving the first shit about Facebook users' rights or privacy.
2. Facebook regularly far oversteps its bounds and presumes rights and ownerships that are simply powergrabs with lots of dollar signs attached.
3. Facebook would sell your organs right out of your body while you slept if they thought they could get away with it.
4. I've got plenty of other time sucks in my life already without adding one more.
5. There are only a couple of people I'd be interested in reconnecting with on Facebook and hundreds of other people I, sadly or not, just don't give two shits about.
6. Ubiquity equals conformity. I am not a sheep and I have no need to do what the rest of the herd is doing.
7. Facebook is a haven for malware, spyware, spamware and all kinds of other digital nastiness.
I could keep going on and finding ever more reasons why Facebook and I will not ever be BFF's and why Teh 'Zuck and I will never be sending each other tagged drinking photos (that Facebook will presume they own the rights to in perpetuity). But the end result is the same, I won't ever be signing up for Facebook and I've got some reasonably good reasons why not.
Are there friends I'm probably missing on connecting up with because I refuse to use Facebook? Yeah, probably. Are there non-friends I'm probably avoiding altogether by not being on Facebook? Abso-fucking-lutely.
At the end of the day, there are already far too many distractions on the internet for me to even think about adding one colossal new one in Facebook. Maybe once I've finished up all the other things on the internet then I'll come back and have another look at Facebook. But I kind of doubt it.
Posted by Fen Labels: facebook